- Always use testers. No matter how good your color sense, there’s no substitute for seeing the exact color you’ve chosen on the very surface you’ll be painting. So, don’t be a Scrooge at the paint store: Spend a couple of dollars for a paint sample – and apply it liberally — to make sure your color pick is perfect.
- Never cheat on surface preparation. When it comes to painting, patience is a virtue. Resist the temptation to rush things by immediately grabbing your brush or roller before you properly prepare the surface. Time spent to repair, prepare, and clean walls, woodwork, or whatever you’re painting will produce a better-looking paint job.
- Always use the highest quality paint. While it’s tempting to save a few dollars by using a cheaper paint, you’ll end up paying the price in the final appearance and durability of your paint job. Go for real economy this year by purchasing a quality 100% acrylic latex paint – it will provide more years of service and produce even bigger savings over the long haul.
- Never work with substandard brushes and rollers. Invest in well-made, high quality applicators to do justice to your paint. They’ll apply the paint more evenly, make your painting more effortless, and help you achieve superior results.
- Always care properly for unused paint. Securely seal cans of leftover paint, label them with helpful information (especially if paint drippings conceal data on brand, color, and sheen), and avoid storing them in an area that is subject to extreme cold or heat. Not enough to save? Then be a good citizen and dispose of the paint properly, following your local community’s recommended procedures.
- Take pleasure in your painting! As with so many things in life, we can approach interior and exterior painting projects as either pleasant activities or disagreeable tasks. This year, be positive in your approach to home painting. You might find it to be fulfilling, even fun. One thing’s for sure: You’re likely to be a lot more fun to be around!
Best wishes from the Paint Quality Institute for a safe, happy, and colorful New Year!